Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Coffee Can Change Your World


by Lisa Bevere

DESCRIPTION
Are you thriving, or merely surviving?
I love coffee. I wake up excited to drink it, and with good reason. Recently I discovered a few more reasons to love my morning mochas. Coffee is so crammed full of anti-aging antioxidants that it keeps you healthy and young. Coffee wakes me up, clears the fog, and grants me perspective just like the Word of God.

But make sure that you don’t get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God (Romans 13:11, The Message).

Like a sponge, your day-to-day activities will try to absorb or suck the life out of you. Without an awareness of what God is doing, obligations can exhaust you. Purpose is factored in when we steward obligations as entrustments.

Caring for young children can be exhausting if you miss what God is doing in this season. Just like so many young mothers, I was not thriving: I was surviving. John was serving as a youth pastor and I was struggling to track my time. What do I mean by this? My days were a blurred haze of busy. At the close of each exhausting day I looked at my messy house and wondered where the time had gone.

About that time, coffee mixed with ice cream came into my world. Coffee helped me mark my hours. I sat down with its warmth and navigated the Word of God and how it applied to me in my season. I began to measure my days by an awareness of what God was doing in my life, children, and marriage, rather than what was on my list that I hadn’t finished.

You see, ultimately, our days and our children are his. Rather than burnout, there needs to be some warmth and laughter. The opposite of absorb is to exude or to radiate, and the opposite of exhausted is renewed, refreshed. So my friend, what is absorbing and exhausting you? We need you renewed and radiant. So refresh yourself with some antioxidant coffee and watch for what God is doing in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment